C.A.T.’s volunteer TeleDog teams provide connection and canine love, virtually!
Together, you and your pet can bring joy and comfort to those who need it most!
C.A.T.'s certified TeleDog teams provide virtual pet therapy to people dealing with emotional and physical life changes but are unable to receive in-person visits. This unique approach allows volunteers to connect with isolated individuals who would otherwise not be reached. The visits provide an opportunity for conversation, connection and comfort.
To become a certified TeleDog team with C.A.T., you and your dog must be fully committed to completing our certification process. Sounds great, right? Well, here’s what you need to know:
STEP 1: Pre-Requisites
You and your pet must meet the following general qualifications:
- Animal must be at least 12 months old.
- You must have owned your animal for at least six months.
- You must have reliable internet and a computer/device with video and audio capabilities.
- You must be comfortable speaking on camera and answering questions about your pet.
- You must be comfortable using online platforms like Zoom.
- Dog must be comfortable remaining in a general area for a 15-30 minute period.
- Dog should respond well to commands and know some basic tricks.
- Attend a C.A.T. Orientation, which are offered once a month.
See Upcoming Events to register for an Orientation or
call us at (954) 990-5175.
STEP 2: C.A.T. TeleDog Evaluation and Certification Process
Register for an evaluation, which will determine if you and your dog are suited to become a certified TeleDog team with C.A.T.
Evaluations are administered at no cost and are ONLINE using Zoom. They are offered once a month and you must attend an orientation prior to registration. If you do not pass the first time you can register for another one.
For more information about the TeleDog Evaluation and Certification Process, please contact us at (954) 990-5175.
STEP 3: Membership
Membership fees are due upon passing Evaluation.
- $50 Annual Membership – (one dog and one handler) includes TeleDog Certificate, C.A.T. t-shirt for handler and bandana for dog.
STEP 4: Online Virtual Visit Tutorial
Once you've completed your membership requirements, you and your dog must complete an online virtual tutorial prior to volunteering.
The online tutorial will ensure that you and your pet are prepared to provide virtual visits. It will cover things like:
- What to do on a virtual visit
- Camera set-up and audio
- Background and lighting
- How to use Zoom
- And more
STEP 5: Volunteering
You will begin to receive monthly emails with the various volunteer opportunities available to you and can register for them at your leisure. You may also initiate relationships with facilities of your choice.